Friday, May 4, 2012

Oatmeal a Million Ways

We love oatmeal in our family.   It's sort of like the pasta of the breakfast world - you can throw all kinds of things in it to make it tasty and fun.   I'm trying to clean out our freezer before we move this summer, so this morning a new concoction with strawberries, coconut and almonds found its way into the cereal bowls with much success.

My basic recipe is this:
1 cup thick rolled oats (Bob's Red Mill is what I use)
2 cup water (filtered if I remember)
shake or two of kosher or sea salt
1 tsp roasted Saigon cinnamon
1 tbsp dark brown sugar

The only thing I usually measure is the oats and water; the rest I generally shake in so the measurements are approximate.  I've measured a few times and written it down so I could post it, but I keep losing the bits of paper so here it is.  We like A.LOT. of cinnamon - both because it's good for you and it's tastiness helps negate the need for some of the sugar.  I like dark brown sugar for the molasses content and the added dimension of flavor.  Don't skimp on the cinnamon.

This morning I just threw in some berries, coconut and almond and stirred it in.  If I had time, I would have toasted the berries and almonds for more flavor, but who am I kidding?  I'll never have that kind of time.


No comments: