Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Soup for a cold day...

We're big fans of soup in this house.  Today was unexpectedly cold and I was able to put together a soup from ingredients hanging out in the house and it hit the spot.  I'm also trying to use up all of our pantry and freezer ingredients in preparation for our move this summer.  I have to document everything we feed Livi exactly for one week for a study she's in, so I thought I would get back in the habit of writing recipes for the food I make.  It will help when Rafe asks me to make it again - for once I can accommodate him!  This soup ended up being much more spicy than I anticipated, so the Mia had a cheese quesadilla and Livi ended up with a peanut butter, honey, cinnamon sandwich on cranberry bread.  I always told myself that I would not be a short order cook for my kids, yet somehow I ended up exactly that.  Ugh.

Andouille, Fennel and Leek Soup
1 tbsp oil
1 yellow onion, medium diced
1 leek, diced and rinsed
1 fennel bulb, cleaned and diced (including stalk but not the fronds)
  • Heat oil to almost smoke point in a heavy pot (I used my Le Creuset pot again).  Toss in the onions, fennel and leek and let sit till they are slightly caramelized (with color on them) and stir.  Continue to let sit for a bit and then stir until the vegetables just begin to get shiny. 
1 bulb (approximately 17-20 cloves) garlic, minced
  • Add the garlic and stir.  Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
1 lb. andouille sausage, diced (I used Smithfield, nothing fancy)
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
1 Idaho potato, peeled and diced
1 (14 oz) can turnip greens with juice (seasoned Southern style)
2 Turkish bay leaves
1/4 tsp caraway seed
8 cups chicken stock (I used some saved from a roasted chicken, some from a can and the rest from a paper box)
  • Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Simmer on very low for one hour.  Serve with crusty bread.


No comments: