Monday, February 13, 2012

Soup in a hurry

I haven't felt much like cooking lately, although in my mind I'm busy cooking fabulous food all the time.  But when it comes right down to it, I usually have about 20 minutes to get it all going at the end of the day with the way our appointments have gone lately.

Saturday I meant to cook something really complicated and delicious but felt too tired and lazy to do it. So when I realized that dinner was about 20 minutes away, AGAIN, and Rafe was outside flying a  kite with Amelia, I figured I'd better do something fast.  Plus Olivia was looking at me with her sad mouth turned down, saying "ee ee ee" and signing "eat".

So I took 1/2# hamburger out of the freezer and thawed it in the microwave.  I don't normally do that so I had to guess at what level to put it on and for how long.   Then pulled out my trusty Le Creuset pot, sauteed some onions and celery on super high heat, threw the meat in and browned it.  While it was browning, I just opened up a can of tomatoes and some corn and tossed it in along with some seasonings.  Stirred it and added couple of cans of chicken stock. Brought it to a boil and thickened it with a can of refried beans.  Turned out to be a big hit with Rafe and Olivia; not so much with Amelia.  I think she ended up eating a cheese stick.  I sprinkled a bunch of crushed tortilla chips on mine.  Delish.

Best of all, it was finished by the time they came into the house.

1 tbsp oil
2 sm/med yellow onions, minced
2 stalks celery, minced
1/2# ground beef, super lean.  (I think my package said 97% or something like that)
1 can corn niblets
1 can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
1 can refried beans with jalapeno and lime
2 cans chicken stock
kosher salt
tons of McCormick garlic pepper
chili powder
tons of cumin

Saute, add stuff, bring to a boil; eat with chips

No comments: