Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Leftovers - Roast Beef Bowl

Obviously with a 5 lb prime rib and only 2 adults eating it in the house, we had plenty of leftovers.  I also had some leftover caramelized onions so I made a roast beef bowl out of those and today I made a steak wrap.

Roast Beef Bowl

  • layer of mashed potatoes
  • layer of caramelized onion
  • smaller round layer of chunked prime rib
  • gravy poured over the top
So simple (and kind of obvious) but delicious in a bowl reheated in the microwave.  I figured I could make more of those and freeze them if I froze the ingredients separately from one another on the bowl/plate I was freezing them in.  The gravy and meat can be frozen together.  You can pull the frozen bowl the night before to slow thaw in the fridge before reheating.  If you are doing it this way, you might want to actually make much thicker gravy than normal, since the thawing/reheating cycle from frozen will cause the ingredients to release more liquids.  That way your gravy will still be thick.


No comments: