Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Steak Sandwich Wrap

Rafe works just a few blocks from where we live on Parris Island.  It has been one of the greatest blessings of our stay here.  He used to work at the Air Station, but I like this so much better.  He is home for breakfast with us in the mornings and home in time for dinner at night.  He also comes home for lunch, which is mostly fun for me to get creative with lunches sometimes since he is so willing to eat whatever I make.

This recipe is adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe from Everyday Food.  I didn't have all the ingredients so I subbed with what I had. Her recipe is the original and my subs are in parenthesis.

Steak Wrap
6 slices bacon (subbed 6 tbsp crumbled bacon bits)
1/2 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt (subbed Stonyfield Farm low fat plain yogurt)
1 oz Parmesan grated (1/2 cup cheap parmesan in a can)
coarse salt (forgot to use it)
2 pieces lavosh flatbread or sandwich wrap (used Aladdin Bakes thin plain wraps)
4 tsp Dijon mustard
1 reserved cooked steak, thinly sliced (not sure how much I used, probably about 4-6 oz)
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (4 tbsp thinly sliced scallion, white parts)
1 cup baby arugula (2+ cups baby arugula)

The original recipe calls for mixing the yogurt and parm and layering the rest of the ingredients on two pieces of flatbread.  I really didn't feel like going to all that trouble; so I just mixed the parmesan, yogurt, bacon and scallion together and made a spread.  If I had to do it over again, I would throw in the dijon to the spread as well.  I just forgot to until I had already started making the sandwich layers.  So the end result.... just spread the mixture, layer with meat/arugula/meat/arugula and wrap.  I measured it and spread 4 tbsp on each wrap and had enough spread for 4 wraps.  Eat.  It makes a huge sandwich.  We could easily have split it (we're trying to eat smaller portions).  However, we did not and 3 hours later I'm still full.  

The reason I layered meat and arugula twice is that I think it made a better mouth full than just a chunk of meat and a chunk of arugula in a bite.  Either way works though.


No comments: