Saturday, March 19, 2011

CDC Success!

This morning was a bit hectic loading all of Olivia's stuff into the van (including the high chair); but well worth it in the long run.  The nurse was there when I showed up and took Olivia directly from me while I was bringing in everything.  I noticed she took her and played with her a bit, showed her a fish tank, and sat with her in the room to play with Olivia on her lap.  As nice as it was, I am assuming she did it to get a feel for what Olivia's capabilities are.  I later found out she stayed a couple of hours at the center and was there when Olivia's meds were drawn so there would be oversight. 

Susan (our cognitive therapist from EDIS) was there after lunch and checked in on Olivia and the classroom to make sure things were running smoothly.  She later called me with an update and report on how things went.

I went to go pick her up and the staff all told me how much they loved having her and what a great baby she was and to bring her back anytime... I think they were vastly relieved to find out how normal she is.  The caregivers in the room told me they hadn't expected her to be so mobile and to be able to sit up.  Not sure why they felt that way; I told them she could sit up but could not sit alone on a chair- she would fall over.  It's not that she doesn't have the muscle strength to sit on the chair - it's that she doesn't understand how to sit on a chair.  She can't keep her balance because she's not sure where her body is at in space on a chair yet.

The greatest thing about the CDC today was the caregivers telling me she was repeating sounds they made and babbling a lot; and she waved "bye bye" on her own to a woman she didn't know who was leaving the room.  SHOCKING.  I am so impressed!  I talked it over with Susan and mentioned that I thought it would be a good idea to bring her there once a week for socialization and she agreed with me.  The only negative was that she didn't sleep at all.  They could not get her to lie down.

Oddly enough, when I brought her home and put her down for a nap, she only took about 1.5 hour nap.  She woke up ok, but really reacted poorly to situations in the house.  She actually got a frown on her face and cried, a real fussy cry, for about 15-20 seconds several times when she was with mom for no apparent reason.  It honestly startled the heck out of both of us, and we started checking her whole body over to figure out what was wrong.  She turned out to have an enlarged node on the back of her neck/head area.  We called the doctor and were told it was a "shoddy lymph node" and to just watch it.  I'm not even sure what that is at this point. 

All in all, a busy day.  I took Amelia to a going away luncheon with bouncy house for the woman who coordinates playdates in the neighborhood; then drove her over to Creative Stitches to finish sewing her shorts with Grandma.  After they came home we went to an Oyster Roast put on by the battalion at Elliot's Beach, complete with another bouncy house and bonfire. 


Cori said...

Glad that it went well! I thought about you and hoped that it would be a success and they would see what a sweet girl you have!

Mandy said...

YAY for Olivia! I knew that once they had her they'd realize she is not that hard to take care of. On the contrary, she's such a happy easygoing baby. I miss that kid! And I agree once a week will be great for her. I think sleeping will get better. You know how Miss Nosey has to see what's going on. She's too nosey to nap there LOL. She'll probably get better each week.

Mom T said...

"Nosey" isn't the word for it. She can't stand to have anything going on around her that she can't see or get into the middle of. Won't even drink her bottle if she thinks something more fun is happening