Monday, February 21, 2011

It's not the first time, and it won't be the last...

From PWS Mom blog:
She asked what Prader-Willi was and I briefly explained that it is something that affects the brain and makes it so you never feel full.

She said laughing,"Maybe that's what I have."

I kind of chuckled to be polite but I still cringe every time someone says that to me. They are joking of course. But I don't think it's funny.

This really hit home with me.  I've had this exact same conversation and thoughts a few times already with people who mean well.

 I cringe also... for the person who said it; for my daughter; and for the person I used to be who might have said the same thing - not knowing the sickening reality of PWS and not aware of how hurtful a light comment can sometimes be.

3 comments:

Christina K said...

Laurie- I totally agree with you. People will say something so simple to them but means the world of heart wrench to me. It is just with those I give a little smile and say "if you only knew what those words meant"

northsouthwest said...

Wow..that is really powerful. You know, I have had so many students so many times say things like "that's retarded." I always used to tell them that you never know who you are talking to or what kind of family members or friends they have and to keep comments like that to themselves. I'm so sorry that people have been so inconsiderate and I hope and pray that I have NEVER been one of those that even remotely joked about PWS with you. If so, please accept my humble apology. I pray on a daily basis for that sweet little girl and your family. I see God using her in so many ways not just in you but in others and I know that God has a big plan for Olivia. Hang in there. We love you guys and it was so good to see you Sunday. I miss you my friend.

Mandy said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that, Laurie. People have no idea how hurtful their comments are.