Friday, April 4, 2008

Breakfast with Amelia

Lately I've been teaching Amelia how to "make" her oatmeal. She dips in the oats and then pours the flakes in the bowl, sprinkles her salt and cinnamon, pours in the water. Of course, I'm standing right there and pantomining what she needs to do next and giving her the utensils. We have this little 2 step stool that she stands on and can reach the counter. This morning I gave her some milk in a small cup to drink while I was getting the strawberries out of the freezer for the oatmeal. Note to self: DO NOT TURN BACK ON CHILD. EVER. I turned back around and she had very gleefully poured it into the bowl I set out to make the oatmeal in. She looked so proud of herself! Then she grabbed the salt shaker and started shaking it into the milk. Honestly, I was torn between laughing, being proud of her for remembering what came next, and frustrated that she used milk. I usually use water (cheaper, because we buy organic milk) to make it and give her the milk to drink straight. Then she went for the cinnamon. She gave it a few more shakes than I normally do (more like cinnamon dumps). I added the brown sugar and a bit of extra water. I thought, what the heck, let's cook it up and see how it tastes.

I have been trumped by a 21 month old. It tasted WAY better than what I normally make. Not only that, she ate ALL of it.

I keep telling myself that it's because today we added strawberries to it instead of blueberries. I won't even mention that I tasted it and like it. Not one word. :)

No comments: