Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sweet Baby

After seeing several friend's blogs and previously trying to figure out a way to give our long distance family and friends a peek into our daily lives, I've taken the plunge and joined the modern world! More than anything, I want to be able to give my hard working husband vignettes of our life while he's training and deployed for the next year and a half.

Amelia is 21 months old. Just this week she's started doing a lot of serious role play with her "baby". At first, I couldn't figure out what she was doing, as she had commandeered an empty styrofoam box that was sort of coffin shaped, a sheer black cloth that used to be part of a puppet, and some blankets. When I finally figured it out, I couldn't stop laughing. She puts the baby in the box, covers her face with the black cloth and then the blankets. She's imitating us putting her to bed - although we don't cover her face!!! I promise! I think she does it to make it dark because she usually does this in the daytime. She makes little "shush shush" noises with her fingers to her lips, just as Daddy taught her when he was home this last time. She bends down and gives the baby a kiss, pats it and walks away. Then she goes back, gets the baby up and does it all over again. She makes great big smacking sounds when she kisses the baby. Honestly, it made me feel like a great mommy to watch her be so loving to her baby. I realized that is how she sees her world - as loving and tender.

This week has been really great. She is doing lots of hugging and kissing; waking my face this morning by gently patting me and whispering, "mommay, mommay" and then giving me eskimo kisses.

She's figured out that the word "two" is part of "Get ready!! One... Two... THREEEE!" when we are playing any kind of crazy motion game - running, chasing, sliding in the tub (yeah, I know, bad mommy!), driving the crazy car in the driveway. Within the past few days, she's begun to say "teuww" to indicate she's ready to play and get herself in position. Now if I can only get her to say one and three!

No comments: