Saturday, April 26, 2008

I love Julia!

Many years ago, when I was still working as a professional Chef, I had the good fortune to be invited to be a guest chef for one of the courses for Julia Child's 80th birthday celebration at The American Restaurant in KCMO. They were having birthday celebrations all across the country in her honor, and she attended each one.

When she actually showed up, I was astounded. She was incredibly tall and big boned, but more than that, she had one of the most charismatic and powerful auras of anyone I've ever met. She also had a handler that would steer her around, and keep people moving in a giant production line of socializing with her and circulating. I truly felt I was in the presence of a star and I've never felt that way since, even though I've met a few when I worked as a Chef.

Tonight I ran across a quote that reminded me all over again of her incredible gusto and forthrightness that made me laugh out loud...

Julia Child explaining her methods:
"Many aspects of my method are based on my feeling and experience. For instance, I always give my bird a generous butter massage before I put it in the oven. Why? Because I think the chicken likes it, and more important, I like to give it. "

Who knew? :)

No comments: