Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Savory Sensations

This past week I went to visit Rafe at Camp Lejeune. The BOQ is pretty nice - it's sort of like a dumbed down version of an extended stay motel. I was lucky enough to be able to visit a few of my friends and one of them who lives close to the base let me cook our dinners in her kitchen. We had Chicken Tikka Masala for the first time (YUM!); made roast chicken with home made stuffing and braised celery root, leeks and parsnips with a bit of sage. Rafe never had the braised veggies before and he loved them. We tried a restaurant called "Thai House" and had Pad Thai and Crab Fried Rice; I've eaten Larb (salad) at that restaurant before and it was incredible.

Tonight Amelia had spinach pizza; for lunch she had noodles with green beans; for snack she had currents and mozzarella stick. It was fun having someone besides myself to cook for again when I was in Jax. I'm dying to try and make my own potstickers and curry spice mix. For the first time in my life, these past few months I've actually eaten premade frozen dinners. They are so incredibly expensive for the food you get. But they sure are easy to cook :) Tonight I heated up something that I want to try and make on my own when I get more ambitious and less depressed about Rafe leaving again. It's grilled chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, wild and white rice... all in a cheese sauce. YUM.

No comments: