Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Nummies?!?!?!

I've been trying to get on the Dr. Sears bandwagon for a while. I like a lot of what he says, and I thought signing up for his newsletter would really give me a few new pointers.

But every. single. time. I get a newsletter, I wade through tons of promos and sales and opportunities to waste money...oops I mean buy the most expensive alternative out there to help my baby. I find myself getting more and more irritated every time I skim through the newsletter at the heavy marketing and what seems to me someone taking huge advantage of mothers fears and concerns in order to make money. And moms buy it, hook, line and sinker without doing more research.

Today I had to laugh and finally decide to cancel the subscription when I read "tell your child we don't take out our nummies in public" as advice FROM A DOCTOR to a woman who wanted to breastfeed after one year.

She had been told by her own doctor that breastmilk wasn't nutritionally sound after one year and wanted the scientific evidence for that. Instead of giving her a clear cut answer, Dr. Jim advised her to nurse at home to avoid the public opinion poll, called breasts "nummies" ::::shudder::::, and told her the APA recommends breastfeeding for one year and as long as possible after that. Totally leaving out the clarification she asked for. He should have told her that it is still nutritionally as sound as it ever was, but that after the first year it doesn't really have the distinct nutritional advantages over food that it does during roughly the first year; and that the real advantage from breastfeeding longer is the nurturing aspect of it with the nutrition running second.

It really gives me the heebie jeebies to think of kids running around calling their mom's breasts "nummies".

No comments: